Wolf Lake Story
“Choosing CedarCoast was an excellent choice…complete turn-key operation, quality work and always there for us years after completion for upkeep and service”. – Gus G.
The idea of being off-grid and environmentally self-sustaining appealed to Gus & Sam when we explored ideas for a cottage on their recently acquired acreage abutting a small lake near Parry Sound. The solar array installed on a metal rack away from their cottage is barely noticeable yet provides all the power required to run their log cottage complete with all modern systems and conveniences.
The cottage is enjoyed year-round. Winter months allow for a hockey rink on the lake so that Gus can host his buddies for a game of pick-up, along with snowshoeing and sliding down the hill. Canoeing and paddle-boating in summer allows for taking in nature around the lake as well as hiking the trails on the property.
Sam is very in tune with nature and as special gift to her, we had a wolf head carved that is prominently displayed on the deck facing the moon rise.
Gus & Sam did not want a large cottage but they wanted it spacious enough to accommodate family and friends. The CedarCoast team came up with a design that had the master bedroom and a bedroom for their daughter on the main floor, with guest accommodation in the lower level walk-out basement. This kept the footprint fairly small but allowed room for everyone.
Some of the challenges on this site included constructing and finishing the entire cottage without electricity during this winter build.
The other one was keeping the almost 1 kilometer driveway looking like a quaint trail during the movement of heavy equipment and materials.
1. The hand-scribed log walls have character and are each unique and very artistic
2. An off-grid system consisting of an 18 panel solar array averaging 14 Kw per day
3. Separate solar panels power each security gate
4. A rooftop solar water collector for domestic hot water heating
5. In-floor radiant heat on both floors powered by a propane gas boiler
6. Custom kitchen cabinets with different colours made to look like individual antique cupboards
7. Impressive audio / visual system as well as security and live cameras throughout the house and property
8. Front door with carved wolves sheltered by an artistically crafted log entry porch
9. Yoga studio located in the space above the garage